Tuesday, March 31, 2009

ONCE AGAIN, I, THE ARMCHAIR CRITIC, ...

HAD TO ANSWER:

Dr Spiteri’s reply on animal welfare.

That Dr Mario Spiteri is ‘not at all appalled’ by what I wrote in my article (TMID, 13 March), speaks volumes about how he is running ‘his’ department. I would have been, had I been in his shoes.
It is really ironic that Mario Spiteri chooses to call me ‘an armchair critic’ (TMID, 16 March, 2009). A veterinarian surgeon based in B’Kara, as well as Mr Freddie Fenech, along with an infinite number of friends and acquaintances can vouch for my stance in favour of animal welfare in Malta and in Gozo. At least, I ‘work’ among animals not because it is my job or because I am paid to do it, but because I really love animals and if Mario Spiteri still thinks that I am not ‘genuine’ and ‘true’, then, he is really at a loss as to what constitutes a true animal-lover.
I have no intention of wasting newspaper space and enter into personal tit-for-tats with Dr Spiteri – but it is my duty to criticise his words that he reputedly said and which were absolutely not ‘warped unnecessarily’ as he would have us believe. He said that unless those dogs are adopted, they would be put down. I don’t think there is anything to warp about such plain language, is there? Enough warping as it is.
Dr Spiteri has to recognise the immense responsibility he has. What he says about animals counts much more than what I or indeed any other Tom, Dick and Harry has to say about the same, for the simple reason that he happens to be the Director of Animal Welfare. It is for this reason that around eight people, all hailing from four different animal sanctuaries, contacted me to inform me of what he said, how he said it, and to show me their disgust.
Nor is it the first time that said sanctuaries were threatened that, unless they accepted stray dogs, these would be put down.
‘Tackling the stray dog situation is no easy task.’ I agree. So, what has been done and is being done to try and reduce the problem? Killing the dogs in question is no answer, unless said dogs are absolutely dangerous or ill.
True, dogs can become dangerous, especially if they unite in packs. Only yesterday, on the Italian news, I heard about a ten-year old child who was mauled to death by a savage pack of dogs. However, two points arise from this: firstly, as Dr Spiteri rightly says, ‘the villain in this scenario is none other than that irresponsible owner …’. What is therefore being done to have a proper Animal Welfare Act which would bring out of their hides these criminals who think nothing about abandoning their cat or dog out in the streets? Secondly, is it the animal’s fault if its basic instinct takes over completely in such situations?
‘New animal welfare initiatives’ have been mentioned. Perhaps Dr Spiteri can mention a few.
I do not understand what Dr Spiteri means by ‘personifying animals’. If he refers to the fact that many of us, animal-lovers do not want to harm animals IN ANY WAY, and give them as much dignity as is shown to the human being, then, yes, Dr Spiteri is free to call me, for one, ‘insane’, even if I do not agree with him – it is his opinion.
I am sorry to have to note that even in his letter, Spiteri does not come down to me as a real animal-lover. He is the one who should be ‘insane’ for animals! His role as Director of Animal Welfare requires of him to stand up for animals, come what may. He is their lawyer, their protector, their defender, their protégé. If he does not wear such a hat, who will?
But to take on that role, you have to be a true animal-lover yourself.
Concluding, animal awareness is a very tricky business, and a very sensitive one. Animal Welfare should be completely separate from any Government department, if it is to be run properly.

Franco Farrugia

No comments: