Saturday, November 24, 2007

An e-mail with a difference.

You know, it's one of those e-mails that frequently do the rounds ... but this one particularly caught my attention because of its 'verosimile' kind of thing ... the picture of a dog, lying down on cold tarmac on a busy road, with heavy transport for company ... not a very nice, dignified place for a seriously-injured creature ... and another dog, standing guard over him, at times prodding his injured friend with his front leg, trying to make him move away from persistent danger ... in vain, of course, because the injured creature is too heavy for the standing dog, which, helplessly, barks at cars rushing past, eager for help. Yet, none comes along. Only a few people taking snapshots at this 'interesting' sight.

A sight of which, I have seen, myself, and often, too. Here, in Malta, at least twice, I came across such a sorry scene - a cat, lying dead, with another cat watching over it, waiting for it to wake up and walk away. But there is no waking up for the dead cat. There is only the cold tarmac beneath it. And soon, thanks to the cars and the traffic, that dead cat, too, will become part of that tarmac, entrails and all.
We have seen it before. We see it every day, don't we? There are those of us, especially young drivers, who BOAST about it ... about the CRUNCH they felt as tyre met the animal's head!

There must be more to life.

Even for animals.

So, dear friends, especially those of you who have an animal-companion at home - and by 'home', I don't mean up on the rooftops or down in the small, smelly yard, but inside your living-rooms and up in your bedrooms - be happy that you have that non-pedigree cat or dog or other animal that you keep with you, for life! You saved him from the ravages of the cruel streets and roads that we have. 'It' is one less cat or dog living in the streets, under cars, wherever they can find shelter from the cruel elements.
And that, in itself, is a blessing for that poor animal. I, myself, am proud that I have two cat-companions who share the abode I live in - we are three, and I know that they have given me more, much more than I can give to them.

No comments: