Saturday, November 17, 2007

Let Pullicino Orlando read this!


Great Dane saved... and poisoned
Mary Rose Schembri Wismayer, Msida.

My great Dane Jumbo, whom I saved from attempted poisoning at Buskett, was being hosted on a farm at Cirkewwa and was well integrated with the farm dogs, especially Polly, a small sheepdog, who seemed to take him under her wing. Jumbo and Polly were a team and ran around together, enjoying the freedom and playing together. I have been visiting Jumbo and Polly every other day for the past 18 months, to feed and take them for a ride in my car and for walks, besides leaving a tank with dry food for the farmer to feed them daily. A young man from the neighbouring sanctuary Noah's Ark saw to their daily feeding too.
On November 8, I searched for Jumbo and Polly for more than an hour, as they did not come running as usual when I honked my horn. Much later I found Jumbo dead in a field opposite the farm precinct, stretched out - poisoned with white powder still in his mouth. Handsome gentle Jumbo had been poisoned by a heartless individual who has no right to call himself human! Jumbo wore a red harness with his name and my mobile phone number on it, so that people would know that he was no stray and they could contact me if there was any problem. Yet, some person with no courage and no conscience poisoned a lovely, gentle, happy dog who gave glory to his creator with his beauty and happiness, by stretching out a hand with food to kill!
An action of giving with evil intent. Can such a person sleep at night? One day he has to reply to his creator for such callous, inhuman behaviour. We humans have the might but not the right to kill, especially animals who are so vulnerable and trust us.
Polly, the black and white sheep dog in the photo, has not been found since then. I appeal to Polly's killer: If you have not poisoned and buried her too, will you please return her to the farm. She is much loved and missed.

No comments: