Thursday, January 10, 2008

A tribute to MR KURT CIAPPARA, Noah's Ark, Mellieha. From The Times.

Anna Micallef Babola, Sliema.
I would like to thank Kurt Ciappara from Noah's Ark Sanctuary for his great help with my new dog Xarik.

I recently adopted the dog from the sanctuary in Mellieha. To my great surprise my little cocktail Chiwawa turned out to be a real tiger... I was no longer allowed on my sofa as she would be stretching there comfortably and would groan and aggressively warn me and my son off if we so much as approached the comfortable settee. She made it her territory and none of us was allowed to get close.

I ended up sitting on the carpet when we have two huge sofas...

On the contrary, I was more than welcome in the kitchen and she would wag her tail happily every time I opened the fridge. She would welcome me on my arrival from work and play cheerfully with the tennis ball when my son threw it to her.

Xarik is a very clever dog. She was found in Mellieha after being hit by a car and Mr Ciappara (age 20) from Noah's Ark rescued her. So here I was together with my son stuck on the carpet while my new arrival was stretched out comfortably on my settee... I decided to call Mr Ciappara to ask his advice. He asked me if I would like to return the dog to the sanctuary.

I refused and he immediately suggested that he should come by and assess the situation. It was January 1 so he must have been tired from the previous night's celebrations. Yet the dog's happiness was far more important for him than his own tiredness.

He arrived at 6 p.m. sharp and stayed at my place for four hours assessing what could be wrong with my mini-tiger. He got bitten when he decided to sit on the sofa; he got bitten when he decided to take Xarik's ball. His hands were bleeding yet he did not lose his temper.

Slowly he established who the real boss is. Xarik obediently left the sofa and went to her soft carpet. The youngster is fully trained to read a dog's body language and can easily help out in strange situations like the one I found myself in with my dog.

I know he is a real dog lover. Mr Ciappara - whatever your dreams are, with your dedication they will all come true! Dogs are so lucky to have you.

1 comment:

Elämäni Maltalla said...

You are doing a great job! Keep on doing the same.. I wish I could do more. I already have one abandoned and one "almost"... 2 in this household is maximum. Take care.